Learn more about the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office


, , , , ,

Our summer student Amelia Charles spent some time reaching out to the agencies and partners we work with as the family law information service provider in Toronto’s family courts. In this post we share information from the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office

Do you have an issue with an Ontario provincial or municipal service? Are you having trouble getting answers, or need information about what services you are entitled to?

The Ontario Ombudsman can help! If they see something that is unfair, they will work to make it right.

The Ontario Ombudsman’s Office takes complaints about more than 1,000 public services. This includes the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), children’s aid societies, Ontario Works, the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), social benefit tribunals, services for children and adults with developmental disabilities, the Ontario Autism Program, and Ontario drug funding programs. The Ombudsman’s Office can also address issues related to French language services.

For example:

  • They helped a father quickly receive a refund after the FRO mistakenly took too much money for child support.
  • They ensured a young boy with developmental mental health conditions received appropriate and immediate support funding.
  • Thanks to their help, the FRO secured more than $10,000 in support payments for a mother from her children’s father.

When you contact the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office, they will listen respectfully to your story and ask some questions. With your consent, they may reach out to the organization you have complained about to ask them for documents or try to facilitate communication. If they cannot help resolve your issue, they will work with you to figure out where to turn next.

While they can assist with many issues, they cannot take complaints about elected officials, judges, the courts, police, criminal activity, or legal disputes.

Their services are free and confidential. You can contact them by phone at 1-800-263-1830 from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., or anytime by email at info@ombudsman.on.ca. You can also fill out a complaint form on their website at www.ombudsman.on.ca.

Family Law Information Centres (FLIC)

You can learn much more about available services, mediation, court process, separation, divorce and the law by visiting us at one of our Family Law Information Centres (FLIC).


361 University Ave, Suite 146, Toronto, ON M5G 1T3

Get Directions

311 Jarvis Street Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2C4(Between Gerrard and Dundas)

Get Directions

47 Sheppard Avenue East Toronto, Ontario M2N 5X5Main Floor (Just east of Yonge, south side of Sheppard)

Get Directions